Monday, September 17, 2007

Emmytime (Spoiler Alert)

Of all awards shows, the Emmy's are my favorite. The Oscars are a little too austere for my taste (even with Jon Stewart and other comedian hosts), Golden Globes are a nice preview to the Oscars but its spontanaiety is overplayed, SAG awards are mainly a popularity contest (only Screen Actors Guild members vote for their faves), and anything MTV awards is just fluff programming for MTV to give itself a little ratings boost. I'm a TV-girl at heart so I really enjoy seeing talented people get their due. I pretty much agreed with most of the winners. However, I didn't quite agree with Ryan Seacrest as host (why did he have to dress up in a costume from "the Tudors?" come ON.), the whole Jersey Boys/Sopranos tribute (their Jersey roots is the only thing they had in common. 50's pop and Mob families just don't mix), the theatre "in the round" staging, and the creepy Neil Patrick Harris/Hayden Paneterie banter ("so you're 18 now...").

Random Winners and Commentary:

Drama Series: "The Sopranos," HBO. AGREE, this show is so well written that I don't mind the grit and gore.
Comedy Series: "30 Rock," NBC. AGREE. Tina Fey reminds me of my smarty-pants friends. This show reminds me of working at a network and the insane dysfunction that prevails. Love it!
Miniseries: "Broken Trail," AMC. Westerns always win. But I still heart Robert Duvall.
Variety, Music or Comedy Series: "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart," Comedy Central. I admit that I am part of the generation that gets my news from "The Daily Show." Infotainment is key to our multitasking age group.
Made-for-TV Movie: "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee," HBO. I watched about 15 minutes of this is a heartwrencher of a movie. I can't stand watching movies about the topic.
Reality-Competition Program: "The Amazing Race," CBS. No surprise, this wins every year.
Actor, Drama Series: James Spader, "Boston Legal," ABC. Good, Creepy, Actor. Every time I see him, I think of "Secretary."
Actor, Comedy Series: Ricky Gervais, "Extras," HBO. AGREE, HILARIOUS. I thought it was great that Steve Carell from the other "Office" accepted it on his behalf.
Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Robert Duvall, "Broken Trail," AMC. AGREE, he's so good at playing old, hardened, cowboys.
Actress, Drama Series: Sally Field, "Brothers & Sisters," ABC. Hmmm, I didn't see the series, but I do like Sally Field. We like her, we really like her.
Actress, Comedy Series: America Ferrera, "Ugly Betty," ABC. Good for her. I remember her in "Real Women Have Curves" and I think she's a great role model for aspiring actresses.
Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Helen Mirren, "Prime Suspect: The Final Act (Masterpiece Theatre)," PBS. Who doesn't like Helen Mirren?
Supporting Actor, Comedy Series: Jeremy Piven, "Entourage," HBO. I wouldn't say he's comedic, just nuts. Too bad that he is the only talented one in the entire show.
Supporting Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Thomas Haden Church, "Broken Trail," AMC. From "Wings" to "Sideways," Love him!
Supporting Actress, Drama Series: Katherine Heigl, "Grey's Anatomy," ABC. I liked that she corrected the announcer-lady about her name pronounciation and how she announced that her mom told her she wasn't going to win. Her mother must have been so proud at that moment.
Supporting Actress, Comedy Series: Jaime Pressly, "My Name Is Earl," NBC. She's pretty good at playing white trash. However, I didn't like that she called herself "the little engine that could." That just seems egotistical.
Directing, Drama Series: "The Sopranos: Kennedy and Heidi," HBO. That was an awesome episode.
Writing, Comedy Series: "The Office: Gay Witch Hunt," NBC. Classic "Office"!

No comments: