Sunday, September 9, 2007

Ode to HBO

When I was a little girl my mother kept getting more and more irritated with our local cable company that one day she had it cut off. I remember that day very clearly; it was around 3pm in the afternoon on a weekday and I was watching "She-Ra" in my parent's bedroom. Suddenly the screen went black. Sad to say, She-Ra never came back to my house.

Now that I am a grown up and can buy pretty much whatever I want, I have 300+ channels of pure television enjoyment to choose from, including...HBO. My parents gasp at the thought of "premium channels," but you have no idea how it has affected my life. First off, it has saved my marriage: my sports-loving husband and I now have programs that we can both agree on. No more wrestling for the remote control (which was fun at first, then got old), snide comments ("Food Network hosts are geeks"), or separate viewing in different rooms. This summer, on Sunday and Monday nights we actually had a ritual of eating dinner together then snuggling on the couch to watch "Entourage," "Flight of the Conchords," and "Big Love." How sad I am to see those show end for the season, but I'm hoping I will get my hubby hooked on "Curb Your Enthusiasm." He really seems to relate well with old, crotchety, curmudgeons.



The next reason why I love HBO is because I am so over the whole reality craze. Yes, it is cheap to produce and yields high ratings, but lets get back to basics. Real storytelling with real actors and real budgets. Programs with a well thought out creative proccess. To me, that's what Hollywood is all about. So as I wax poetic about premium cable, for those who do not subscribe, think of it as an investment in your intellect as well as your relationships. I know I did, and it has made all the difference.

No comments: